Monday, January 21, 2008

Cloverfield

Saw Cloverfield yesterday. I'm sure everyone knows what it's about. A giant monster attacks New York. It's a re-imagining of the Godzilla situation, only instead of a man in a big lizard suit it's pimped out in the latest CGI effects. I really enjoyed it. It had a some great suspense scenes. It's not campy or corny in anyway, which I appreciated. For such an outlandish plot it really felt realistic--well, as realistic as it could be. 

I don't want to ruin anything for those who haven't seen it, but one of the biggest problems I had with it was that they gave us a good look at the monster. I know that this wont be the popular consensus for most audience goers, but I thought the monster was much cooler/scarier when seen in small doses. 

I guess it goes without saying that this type of movie requires a willing suspension of disbelief. The main character's motivation for wanting to venture through Manhattan while it's being demolished by a giant beast is just plain stupid, but without it there wouldn't be much of a movie, would there? 

Anyways. I really enjoyed it. 3 1/2 out of 4 stars.

2 comments:

b said...

i see you've boldly gone with the "4-star" reviewing system. you and Ebert are real trailblazers. a lesser man would simply use his thumbs...unless they were broken. are your thumbs ok erock? have you been playing dodgeball recently?

Unknown said...

I really like it.

the movie, i mean.

J$ style.